Friday, November 8, 2013

When You're Too Crunchy For Your Own Good

If you follow this blog, you probably have somewhat of an understanding of the term "crunchy." After all, this is a crunchy mama's blog here you're reading.

My idea of crunchy is who I am, obviously crunchiness varies by person and strength (eg: super crunchy to slightly crunchy.... scrunchy?)

If you are any kind of crunchy, have you ever had one of those moments? The ones where you think to yourself "how far have I gone into this crunchy world?" You know, the hazards of being crunchy?

I had one of those moments hit me this week. Let's call this recurring offense The Stains.

Predominately crunchy? You know all about coconut oil and its uncountable uses. You accordingly use it for everything. But then.... DUNDUNDUUUUN.... It's The Stains. You know. You've had them before. The coconut oil stains. Essentially the grease stains of the modern hippie.

I was changing my daughter's diaper and applying coconut oil to her bum. Whatever happened, my oil-laden fingers made contact with my lovely, gray, soft, favorite shirt..... The Stain made its appearance right squat in the middle. Multiple washings did nothing, I was broken inside.

Fast forward to me making my homemade deodorant. Allllll baking soda, corn starch, and of course.... coconut oil. Fast forward a bit more and you'll see another one of those... those.... Stains.

In a summer and fall surprisingly free of crunchy mishaps, yesterday happened. I cannot recall why exactly I was using an essential oil, but as a crunchy mom it's bound to happen. I was tilting my EO bottle, but the oil wouldn't come out... so I started shaking it hoping this would magically release the dam holding back my jasmine oil. Which it very quickly did. The event was akin to a scene in Friends, slow motion with symphony music blaring in the background in tune with the travesty. My oil went EVERYWHERE. Which, with the prices of EOs was devastating enough. But then.... The Stains. All. Over. My. Shirt. Another favorite, a soft v-neck army green Old Navy uber comfy tee.

I may have lost it.

I may have said words I don't normally say. (Akin to Phoebe's breakdown when she lost the Ms. Pac-man game on Friends.)

The Stains were all over my beautiful comfy shirt! I was too crunchy for my own good.

Luckily I found out about the old Dawn dish soap trick.

{Now, I'm fairly crunchy, but I wouldn't say I'm super crunchy. I have researched the crap out of so many things that there are some sacred things I won't touch. Dish soap and Starbucks are good examples. So I don't know if there is anything iffy about Dawn or the company that owns them, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but I spend enough money on other specialty things I am okay with buying "mainstream" dish soap. And pumpkin spice lattees.}

I didn't exactly listen correctly and used Gain soap instead of Dawn, which can be a fatal mistake causing fading, as I've read. Dawn is used because it's petroleum based and gets rid of grease.

Anywho, I kinda did my own thing and mixed a random amount of Gain dish soap with baking soda. While it worked, I would recommend going with the Dawn route. I didn't notice fading yet on my shirts (hang drying) but I did noticed a bit of fading on my pillowcases.

Essentially, Dawn can get rid of grease stains, even set in ones. The apparent go-to at home major stain remover is 1 part Dawn to 2 parts hydrogen peroxide and will allegedly remove any stain whatsoever! So I aim to try it next time I go to the store.

The moral of this story is, sometimes you will experience mayhem that makes you think "oh goodness I'm too crunchy for my own good." And this is only one of my stories! But it's okay, because all the crunchy things you do that are beneficial makes up for the self-inflicted mayhem.

Or I am totally alone in this and made a fool of myself and my clumsiness. And no one ever has the crunchy "aha" moments like I do....

....And now that I think of it, I was using Jasmine Oil in my apple cider vinegar rinse for my hair. I've started no pooing.... but that's an entirely separate post.

That's all I have for today folks, I've got a diaper to change and Christmas movies to watch!\

~The Crunchy Mishap

No comments:

Post a Comment