Saturday, August 31, 2013

Teething Problems

My daughter has been teething since around three months. It was not fun when it started, not at all. Bree was cranky, sad, and screaming. There was one day where my husband had to come home from school early because she was inconsolable and I was in hysteria (she wouldn't even nurse, it was a hard day for both of us). Luckily, his presence calmed her down and she was able to fall asleep.

I didn't know what to do to help her. I didn't want to give acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen, 1) because I didn't want to give her drugs and 2) because something just told me not to. (Gotta love mama instincts!)

Luckily, a mama friend offered me an amber teething necklace. Life changed that day, and I swear I'm not being dramatic.

The day after we got the necklace, Bree was a different baby. She was calm, smiley, happy, and actually napped again! I was the happiest mom in the world. All was right in the world. That, gripe water, and Hyland's homeopathic teething gel made the ride much easier. (You can read more about Baltic Amber teething necklaces HERE. There are many brands out there, and a lot of places sell them now, just be sure that it is authentic Baltic amber! Inspired By Finn is a good brand, and there are a lot of good Etsy stores too, just shop around. Again I say, authentic Baltic amber.)

The past three weeks or so however, Bree has been Grumpy McGrumpypants again. She has four top teeth, and four bottom teeth, and is working on her two bottom cuspids. It's not been pleasant. She was no longer sleeping through the night, fussy and screaming, biting, warm, holding her head.... all the negative side effects.

Going to my Facebook tribe of crunchy mamas across the country, I was desperate. I asked about Ibuprofen and Tylenol, and this is what I was shown:

Don't Suppress That Fever (And Why I Don't I Like Tylenol)
FDA: Benzocaine and Babies - Not A Good Mix
How To Help Ease The Pain Of Teething And What Products To Avoid

Reading those things and my want to not give Bree drugs until she's older made me look at other options. Luckily, when I went to visit my drugstore, a few rows above the infant Ibuprofen (and for two dollars less than the dye free ibuprofen and acetaminophen) I found a homeopathic teething remedy! My day was made. It's called Kids Relief (I think it is a generic version of Little Remedies, both of which I recommend) and uses chamomile, arnica, and St John's Wart to relieve pain and inflammation from teething. There is always a natural alternative, which I am so thankful for. I'd like to maintain a pure body for Bree as long as possible, there's plenty of time for Tylenol and non organic food when she's older, am I right?!

If your little one is teething, my heart goes out to you. It isn't easy for our little ones, and it isn't easy for us to see them go through the pain. Look into the teething necklace, and another good option also is a nursing necklace for you that is safe for chewing; they can hold onto it and gnaw on it when you hold them/wear them, and since it's attached to you, if they drop it, it's safe! Get some gripe water, Hyland's, and other homeopathic remedies, and just be patient with your sweetie. I know it can be frustrating having a needy, fussy baby, believe me! But what I am trying to remind myself on the hard days, is that she won't want me like this forever, she will grow up in plenty of time.

All my love to you and yours,
Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the shout out! Glad to find your blog (I'm a Christian too!)

    -Dr. Erika @ Montana Whole Health (http://mtwholehealth.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, girls,

    maybe someone knows if science has approved that amber helps during teething? Where could I find this information?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this link - http://www.amberartisans.com/amtene15.html - you can read about some of the science behind baltic amber! It's the succinic acid in it that works, and there IS science behind that :)

      Delete